Take Action: Send an EasyMail letter to share your concerns with your MPP A new private member’s bill in Ontario, Bill 129, would allow doctors and nurses to refuse to participate in “medical assistance in dying”. Progressive Conservative MPP Jeff Yurek tabled Bill 129 earlier this week. The bill would amend the Regulated Health Professions Act to protect all regulated health professionals against civil, administrative, disciplinary, employment, credentialing, or other penalties for refusing toparticipate, directly or indirectly, in MAID. The bill makes it clear that medical professionals will not have to refer patients for MAID,...
As of June 17, Bill C-14 became law after bouncing back and forth between the Senate and House of Commons. This formally legalized euthanasia and assisted suicide in Canada. Although this is a tragic choice, our leaders did so in full knowledge of the consequences and a much better alternative.
ARPA’s Legal and Policy Resources on Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia:
- New: ARPA’s Submission to Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights
- Speech at God and Government 2016 on Euthanasia and its Harms
- Talking points on euthanasia (great for your letters, phone calls, meetings)
- Important: Legal Analysis & Draft law:How Parliament can continue to prohibit assisted suicide without needing to invoke the “not-withstanding clause”
- Using not-withstanding clause to continue to prohibit assisted suicide
- Policy Report: Broader analysis of why Parliament must prohibit assisted suicide and euthanasia
- Factum: ARPA’s legal submission to the Supreme Court of Canada in Carter v Canada