Earlier this year, we encouraged you to fill out the federal government’s survey about Medical Assistance in Dying (MAID). The results are in and give reason for both concern and encouragement. Those of you who completed the survey will remember that the first question asked, “Do you think the current safeguards would prevent abuse, pressure, or other kinds of misuse of MAID after eligibility is broadened to people whose death is not reasonably foreseeable?” This basically asks whether we can expand eligibility for MAID to more people without tightening up the...
As of June 17, Bill C-14 became law after bouncing back and forth between the Senate and House of Commons. This formally legalized euthanasia and assisted suicide in Canada. Although this is a tragic choice, our leaders did so in full knowledge of the consequences and a much better alternative.
ARPA’s Legal and Policy Resources on Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia:
- New: ARPA’s Submission to Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights
- Speech at God and Government 2016 on Euthanasia and its Harms
- Talking points on euthanasia (great for your letters, phone calls, meetings)
- Important: Legal Analysis & Draft law:How Parliament can continue to prohibit assisted suicide without needing to invoke the “not-withstanding clause”
- Using not-withstanding clause to continue to prohibit assisted suicide
- Policy Report: Broader analysis of why Parliament must prohibit assisted suicide and euthanasia
- Factum: ARPA’s legal submission to the Supreme Court of Canada in Carter v Canada