Urge Parliament to Say No to Euthanasia!
ARPA Canada is calling for at least 1,000 EasyMail letters to be sent Parliament in next two weeks!
Within weeks a special committee in Parliament will have wrapped up its assignment and made recommendations for a law which will allow euthanasia and assisted suicide. Now is the time to make our voice heard.
ARPA Canada has been lobbying Parliamentarians since the Supreme Court decision last February. We have explained to them that the Supreme Court made a mistake. Their decision rested on the false premise that the purpose of the law was only to protect vulnerable people in a time of crisis. That simply is not true. Our law has long recognized that euthanasia is also wrong because we may not intentionally kill an innocent human being. We have a published a legal analysis which explains this in depth, and have sent that to all MPs and Senators.
This is important because it means that Parliament is still able to pass a new law which continues to prohibit all euthanasia.
But we need your help to make sure Parliament hears this message loud and clear. We are just a few lobbyists. It is clear from what we are hearing in our meetings with MPs and what we are seeing discussed at this special Parliamentary committee that they still think they have to listen to the Supreme Court and legalize euthanasia.
We are calling you to add your voice to ours. We have created new EasyMail letters, each of which is copied to all the members of the committee as well as the Minister of Justice and the Minister of Health. We would like to see these Parliamentarians inundated with the message that Canada should not cross this line and allow more killing.
EasyMail Letters: Four Choices – Pick One!
- Letter 1: Euthanasia – Parliament can still stop it!
- Letter 2: Euthanasia – Please read ARPA’s legal analysis
- Letter 3: Euthanasia – Right to life is for all humans
- Letter 4: Euthanasia – blank (will go to committee and MP but you put in your own message)
ARPA’s Legal and Policy Resources on Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia:
- New: Talking points on euthanasia (great for your letters, phone calls, meetings)
- Important: Legal Analysis & Draft law: How Parliament can continue to prohibit assisted suicide without needing to invoke the “not-withstanding clause”
- Using not-withstanding clause to continue to prohibit assisted suicide
- Policy Report: Broader analysis of why Parliament must prohibit assisted suicide and euthanasia
- Factum: ARPA’s legal submission to the Supreme Court of Canada in Carter v Canada
Mail This Powerful and Interactive Card to Your MP:
Order these cards in batches of 10 by emailing [email protected] with your address and a request. Donations to offset the cost of printing and mailing are welcomed but not mandatory.
Put in your Postal code below, and it will provide you your MP’s phone number. Then click on the button below and it will provide you with a script you can use (if that doesn’t work there’s one below as well) or edit the script if you like when calling. If you prefer not to speak to your MP directly you can call after-hours and leave a voicemail instead.