A timeline of ARPA Canada’s engagement on the euthanasia issue
Euthanasia has been a top priority issue for ARPA Canada over the past few years.
- 2015: ARPA intervened in Carter v. Canada, the landmark Supreme Court case which struck down the prohibition on assisted suicide.
- 2015: ARPA produced a paper showing the government that their legislative options included affirming a total ban of euthanasia.
- 2015: ARPA engaged in direct lobbying on Bill C-14, which amended the Criminal Code to legalize physician-assisted suicide. The Hill Times recorded ARPA Canada as having the top number of Parliamentary lobby meetings on this issue in December 2015.
- 2016: ARPA Canada presented to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Justice, urging Parliament to protect all human life from the dangers of legalized assisted suicide.
- 2016-2017: ARPA created the video documentary series Ending Suffering: The Palliative Care Alternative
- 2018: ARPA updated its policy report on Assisted Suicide & Euthanasia
- 2019: ARPA Canada applied for, and was granted, intervener status in the Lamb case.
Grading Horgan’s Five Years in Government
November 17, 2022
Canadians Show Clear Divide on the Expansion of Euthanasia
September 27, 2022
Care Not Kill Campaign Reaches Milestone of 100,000 Flyers Distributed
July 13, 2022
Book Review: This is Assisted Dying
July 06, 2022