A timeline of ARPA Canada’s engagement on the euthanasia issue
Euthanasia has been a top priority issue for ARPA Canada over the past few years.
- 2015: ARPA intervened in Carter v. Canada, the landmark Supreme Court case which struck down the prohibition on assisted suicide.
- 2015: ARPA produced a paper showing the government that their legislative options included affirming a total ban of euthanasia.
- 2015: ARPA engaged in direct lobbying on Bill C-14, which amended the Criminal Code to legalize physician-assisted suicide. The Hill Times recorded ARPA Canada as having the top number of Parliamentary lobby meetings on this issue in December 2015.
- 2016: ARPA Canada presented to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Justice, urging Parliament to protect all human life from the dangers of legalized assisted suicide.
- 2016-2017: ARPA created the video documentary series Ending Suffering: The Palliative Care Alternative
- 2018: ARPA updated its policy report on Assisted Suicide & Euthanasia
- 2019: ARPA Canada applied for, and was granted, intervener status in the Lamb case.
Kill the Bill
January 18, 2021
Federal Euthanasia Survey Results: Support for Stronger Safeguards
May 15, 2020
Society waking up to what it means to think of others
April 02, 2020
A Tale of Two Pandemics
March 27, 2020